Woman of Choice- Paris

 

While walking around the D’Orsay I was really drawn to Marie Laurencins art so I am writing about her for my woman of choice. Some things I’ve learned about her is she was significant in the early 20th century in the Parisian art scene, and was known for her contributions to the Cubist movement and her style of painting usually had really delicate and pastel colors. The paintings that I saw were all very dreamy and looked soft but also striking at the same time. My reaction to Marie Laurencin is she is very inspiring because at the time there were definitely more male artists that were getting attention and she still was unique to her own artistic niche. 


Marie Laurencin's contribution to the art world is important for several reasons. Firstly, she challenged the male-dominated art establishment of her time, asserting herself as a talented painter in her own right. Secondly, her distinctive style, characterized by its ethereal quality and gentle palette, offered a counterpoint to the more angular and aggressive aesthetics of some of her fellow artists within the Cubist movement. This contributed to a broader diversity of artistic expression within the movement and expanded its aesthetic boundaries. She was also just not afraid to do what she wanted. The painting of Coco Chanel didn’t even end up going to the commissioner because of the way she painted it so she gave it to someone else and I think that is a very “girl boss” move to make. 


Marie Laurencin isn’t commemorated in Paris from what I’ve been researching, but from what I saw in the D’Orsay she definitely has other pieces of art in other museums. I think she is probably commemorated an appropriate amount. She is very talented, but she didn’t do anything too crazy to deserve her own statue or street. I really do think people should check out her paintings more tho because it is very unique and it is fun to see where your eyes are drawn throughout the painting. We definitely should remember to teach about her art style in art classes because I feel like it's something you don’t see a lot of anymore.



Comments

  1. Interesting blog, Betsy! I liked what you mentioned about how she was challenged the male-dominated art establishment. I'd be curious to hear more about how she did this. What exactly did she do that made a difference? Was it her distinctive style? Was it the mere fact that she was a women? I think you're totally right, and I would love to hear more. I was also curious about how she was commemorated. Yes, as you mention, her work is showcased in high-end places. But at the same time, I didn't see any other markers dedicated to her (on the streets and such).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You blog about Marie Laurence was very interesting Besty! I agree with you that was a very girl boss move that she knew her Coco Chanel painting deserve to be in a museum and she wouldn’t take no for an answer. She brought a unique style to painting and wasn’t afraid to be different. She knew her worth and wanted to stand out in the world of males artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! You talked about the obstacles that stood in her way including the male dominated field. Another thing you talked about how this women complicate or deepen our understanding of her city as a cultural capital with what you said about the art that she has in museums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great blog post! I really liked getting to read it! I had never heard of Marie Laurencins before this. When it comes to if learning about this woman complicates or deepens our understanding of her city I would say that she is fairly unknown and therefore I can't seem to find a reason she would affect it that much. She was an excellent artist, has done some famous pieces, and she challenged a male dominated craft; but I don't think learning about her has deepened my understanding of Paris as a cultural capital. Maybe just in the way that there are lots of different styles of painters to come out of paris. You are not going to find style.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone de Beauvoir

Opera House (Cities post #1)