Greta Thunberg

Greta Thunberg is so impressive! She was only fifteen when she first began protesting and holding school strikes for climate change, I definitely was not on that same level at fifteen! It was so cool to see the place where she first began protesting, at first I was confused because it didn’t seem to be that crowded of a place, but the further we walked I realized that it is a very popular place making it the perfect spot. I also liked our discussion on why it would be harder for Greta because of her gender to hold a protest. My favorite comment made was that society tends to not take young girls' interests seriously (I think it was Theresa who said it), I have had many experiences where a man has made fun of something I’m interested in just because I acted too passionate about it. She is very brave for acting so publicly for her beliefs. 

Greta Thunberg's contribution is very important and is ongoing. She showed society that the younger generation is concerned about big topics like climate change and wants there to be changes made to fix this problem. I also think that although a lot of people don’t like Greta and speak badly of her, there are more people that really like her and support her. She is a great person for young girls to look up to because she has so many obstacles like her gender and having Asperger's syndrome, yet she hasn’t given up and doesn’t let people stop her. 

From what I have found online, there is only one statue of Greta Thunberg and it is at the University of Winchester. I think that it is honestly impressive that she already has a statue because she is still very young. I do think that it is a little too early for her to be commemorated on a larger scale since the fight for climate change is still on going, but so far she has been commemorated pretty well. I think that she will definitely be talked about in schools because even when I was in high school we talked about her for our current events projects. So even if she doesn’t have much now, she will in the future.

 


Comments

  1. love this post betsy boo! Greta definitely has a lot of obstacles facing her like you mentioned. Given the fact that she is such a young girl, she has Asperger's syndrome, and her opinions are not always popular, being put in the public eye must make life very difficult. I can't even imagine! It is so impressive that she has used her influence for good and to bring awareness, persevering through the obstacles in her path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Greta’s example inspires civic engagement and participation in Stockholm and beyond. Her impact demonstrates how a cultural capital encompasses not only artistic and historical content but also social, environmental, and political engagement. Thunberg’s activism adds a dynamic dimension to Stockholm’s cultural identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Learning about Greta has allowed us to deepen our understand of Stockholm as a cultural capital because of their conservation efforts. City wide, they are conscious of their water use. They reuse and recycle. I admire that a lot in a country. Greta’s concerns were with the environment and Sweden also follows with that. Now and in the future because of Greta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, this was a great post. I like how you pointed out that one of the obstacles that stood in Greta’s way was her age and people taking her seriously at her young age. You also pointed out her Asperger’s Syndrome and gender as other obstacles that she faces. All of these obstacles are still relevant today, obviously as Greta is still living through them, but she has done a great job working through and around those obstacles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Betsy! Awesome research! I had no idea there already is a statue commemorating Greta. I think this is a really good sign because a lot of the time we focus on commemorating people when they are dead, but I think it’s exciting she already is being solidified in history. I think you make a really good point about how discussing her in classrooms is a form of commemoration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone de Beauvoir

Woman of Choice- Paris

Opera House (Cities post #1)