Stockholm Choice Art


First abstract art post say what!!! I usually don’t write about abstract art because it stresses me out but I’m going to be brave and do it. I am writing about Henri Matisse’s series titled Jazz. In the museum, they were situated behind a humongous bed because Henri Matisse believed that the most cherished pieces of art should be kept in the bedroom. He created these in a freestyle method where he moved around each piece of paper multiple times and explored the different shapes and patterns that could be made. My favorite one was the second one on the top row because to me it looks like a woman dancing in the doorway and you can just see her shadow like the light is behind her. I’m impressed that it looks so much like a woman when he was just cutting random shapes with no plan! 

I think modern art like Henri Matisse's is important because it causes us to think a lot more than other more traditional paintings. When I look at modern and abstract sculptures or paintings I have to really think about what I’m seeing and what it's causing me to feel which is important because it helps us to appreciate it better. Modern and abstract art is also important because it is always pushing the boundaries of what art is. I feel like the culture around art and what is considered art is always changing now because people are able to think outside of the box and create these abstract pieces. 

I’m not sure I can say that the Henri Matisse series Jazz specifically contributes to Stockholm's status as a cultural capital, but the museum and modern art in general does! This museum is a perfect example because it is one that is constantly changing its art and doing new exhibitions. This shows that Stockholm is a place where many different talents and styles can coexist. Also, the fact that there is a whole museum for modern art shows that Stockholm appreciates all types of art and is not stuck in a traditional viewpoint where there can only be pretty paintings that look perfect.

Comments

  1. Loved your blog post Betsy!! I can totally see how these Jazz pieces and the modern art museum as a whole contribute to Stockholm as a cultural capital. It shows all of the different ways art is changing and this exhibit was such a great example of it! Modern art is for sure appreciated here, and I think that contributes to their cultural appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea that the culture around art is always changing. A great city has art that challenges the way you think, as well as having the classic masterpieces. Art that makes you feel. A cultural capital collects artwork like this to share with its people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Jazz is so good! They vividly demonstrate the diverse evolution of art, and this exhibition was a remarkable showcase of that evolution. Stockholm clearly values modern art, which enriches its cultural landscape and underscores its appreciation for artistic innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Betsy! I also loved this painting and Matisse. Matisse helps Stockholm be a cultural capital because he is such a groundbreaking and amazing painter. The fact that a museum in Sweden of all places cares about collecting art from a famous french painter shows that Stockholm wants to portray itself as a cultural capital. It is a cultural capital thanks to places like the Moderna Museet that have a great collection of modern art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone de Beauvoir

Woman of Choice- Paris

Opera House (Cities post #1)